Friday, August 21, 2026

Ekiben Journey #9 – Tokai-ken’s Makunouchi Bento from Shizuoka

During my recent trip on the Tokaido Shinkansen, I stopped at Shizuoka Station and decided to buy an ekiben for the ride. I chose the Makunouchi Bento by Tokai-ken, a long‑established local maker known for shaping Shizuoka’s ekiben culture for more than a century.


The bento came in a colorful cover decorated with Shizuoka-related motifs, reflecting the region’s history and traditions. Inside, the classic assortment of rice, grilled fish, tamagoyaki, kamaboko, fried items, simmered vegetables, and pickles was beautifully arranged. I was especially delighted to find wasabi-zuke, a well-known specialty of Shizuoka that added a refreshing, sharp flavor to the meal.


I enjoyed the bento while riding the Shinkansen, and its nostalgic taste paired perfectly with the passing scenery. Eating this bento reminded me once again that ekiben is one of the true pleasures of traveling by train in Japan, enriching the journey in a uniquely cultural way.

No comments:

Post a Comment